Sunday, October 27, 2013

Trying to explain the universe

"Claiming God as the ultimate explanation for what exists raises at least as many questions as it answers" - Richard Smith
I found the above quote while reading a new article on the Secular Web by Richard Smith. He gives a very concise explanation  for why he no longer sees Christianity as a credible worldview and it is worth checking out.

I have seen many Christians say things like: "When I consider the idea of something coming from nothing it just makes more sense to say that God did it." Rather than ponder too long about the mystery of the origin of the universe, they insert God and then relax. They assume that prior to our universe existing there was nothing, but there is also the possibility that something, such as energy or matter, has always existed.

When you insert "God" as the ultimate cause of the universe it may automatically "solve" the mystery of how the universe got here, but you now have an even bigger mystery to explain. You shouldn't just throw out an answer without explaining it.

Personally I feel it is more honest to say that I don't know how the universe got here and leave it at that. I enjoy reading the different theories about our universe's origin, but I also realize that a concrete answer may be unattainable and I am okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment